Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Weekend in Boston


Over Labor Day weekend, we visited the enchanting and historical city of Boston.  With my 1000 Places to See Before You Die book in hand, we set out to see some of the top sights in the old city.  Here was our itinerary....

Friday:  Driving, driving, and more driving.  I don't know how he does it, but my husband's endurance when it comes to driving is incredible.  When we arrived, we stayed at Hampton Inn near the Logan International Airport.  We looooove staying at Hampton Inns.  Try it out sometime, if you haven't.  The beds make me feel like I'm sleeping in the clouds, the breakfast is normally pretty tasty, the "photo-art" decor is so interesting, and the cookies set out for guests each afternoon is such a nice touch....I could go on, but I will save you from it :)

Saturday:

Hampton Inn had a free shuttle to the T station (Boston's public transit) and airport every 20 minutes, so we hopped on and made our way towards downtown. 



First activity was the Freedom Trail.  We had to channel our inner Dorothy (yellow brick road from Wizard of Oz) for this one.  After grabbing a $3 tour pamphlet from the Visitor's Center at Boston Common (the start of the Freedom Trail), we followed the painted red line or embedded red brick line around to numerous famed historical sites. This was definitely a must-see when you visit Boston as it covers so much history.  I will advise you to wear walking shoes, however.  It is quite a bit of walking.  We stopped in the middle of the trail at Quincy Market for a break and lunch.



After a quick rest back at the hotel, we headed out for dinner at La Summa Cucina in the North End, an Italy-infused area of downtown Boston.  Considering my love for all things Italian (I lived in Italy for 3 months in 2006), I was in my element in this part of town.

Sunday:

I circled Fenway Park with my Hubby and his brother.  The Game Day feeling was definitely alive and well.  Hubby and brother went to the game. Red sox vs. white sox (sounds like a laundry disaster to me!).  I ventured off on my own to take in some more sights.



First, I meandured through the Public Garden...oh-so peaceful and picture-worthy.  Then, I did a self walking tour of Beacon Hill, which I definitely recommend if you like architecture (I do!).  You'll also find the muse for the famous sitcom "Cheers" here.



Next, I went back to the North End for something I reluctantly passed up on Saturday night: cannolis!  After seeing several people around the city carrying little boxes wrapped in string with Mike's Pastry printed on them, I decided the long line was worth the wait!

When the game was over, I met up with the boys and we wasted no time in heading to the famed Harvard Campus.  Harvard Square is a sight to behold and I swear my IQ went up a few points just standing in the middle of it.  Dinner was at a hole-in-the-wall, Charlie's Kitchen, a restaurant that claimed to have better New England Chowder than Legal Sea Foods.  After indulging in a bowl, I doubt they are exaggerating.  YUM.  Before we headed back to the hotel to call it a day, we stopped by "The Coop" (official Harvard bookstore) to get a t-shirt so I can pretend that I went to school there.




Monday:

Goodbye, Boston....hope to see you soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...