Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Goodbye, Old Spices...Hello, World Spice

This past weekend, I decided to go through my spice cabinet and throw away any spices past their expiration.  All I have to say is....WOW! I ended up throwing away half my spice collection!

It really hurt...all that money...wasted.  I came extremely close to just putting them back, but finally convinced myself that fresh spices can make or break a recipe...so into the trash they went!


In an effort to find a way to be less wasteful and save money when it comes to spices, I've come across two ideas:

1. Grab a couple friends and share spices...at least the ones that you don't use often.  Half of those ground cloves would have been plenty for me!

2. Order spices online from World Spice.  A lot of their spices are 1 oz. for $1.  So much cheaper than the ones at the store and you have so many more options!  Stock up on all your fave spices once a year and pay shipping once a year...that will equal big savings to the store-bought alternative.   I may even order their adorable jars to put them in...or go with an even cheaper version from Ikea.

IKEA, $2.99/4 Pack

Maybe I'm getting ambitious, but I would love to have a spice cabinet that looked like this!


So cute!  Spice Jar Organization Tips at cherishedtreasures-terry.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link to World Spice, I was just thinking that I should start buying smaller jars because I know there are spices more than five years old in our cupboard!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...